1. What is a Vietnam visa?
Vietnam visa is an authorization issued by the representative of the Vietnamese Government (Vietnam Embassy or Vietnam Immigration Department) permitting its bearer to enter Vietnam boundaries for a limited period of time.
2. I am a Swiss passport holder, how can I obtain a visa for Vietnam?
As a Swiss passport holder, you may have two options to get a visa to Vietnam as follows:
- Apply online for Vietnam visa (called Vietnam visa on arrival) if you travel to the country by air;
- Apply for visa at Vietnam Embassy in Switzerland or in any country which is the most convenient for you.
3. Are a Vietnam visa on arrival and Vietnam visa issued by Vietnam Embassy the same?
Yes. Despite going through different procedures and being issued by different authorities (while visa on arrival is issued by Vietnam Immigration Department, embassy visa is issued by Vietnam Embassy), both are legal and have the same conditions and limitations attached to their use.
4. Do Vietnam visa on arrival and Vietnam visa issued by Vietnam embassy have the same cost?
No. Visa on arrival to Vietnam and Vietnam embassy visa may have different cost in total. In case you want to know about fee of Vietnam visa at embassy, you should contact the embassy as it is not announced on their website and may vary from case to case.
In contrast, cost of Vietnam visa on arrival is clearly published on website of travel agent. When using Vietnam visa on arrival, you need to pay two kinds of fees: service fee and stamping fee. While the former is paid online to the travel agent for processing visa approval letter with the Vietnam Immigration Department on your behalf, the latter is paid in cash directly to Immigration Officer at Vietnam airport to get visa stamped upon landing in Vietnam.
Click here to see total cost of visa on arrival via Vietnamvisa.ch.
The total cost of visa on arrival may be lower or higher total cost of visa via Vietnam embassy, but visa on arrival can save your time and cost of traveling to the embassy.
5. How to obtain a Vietnam visa on arrival for Swiss citizens?
It is very easy to get a visa on arrival for Swiss citizens. They only need to follow four simple steps below:
- Access to https://booking.vietnam-visa.com/step1.html to fill out the online visa application form (required information: full name, date of birth, gender, passport number, passport expiry date, date of arrival and purpose of exit. No document required).
- Pay for service fee.
- Get visa approval letter within 1 or 2 working days (if you apply for a tourist visa) or 7 working days (if you apply for a business visa).
- Get visa stamped upon arrival at Vietnam airport.
6. Can all Swiss passport holders apply for visa on arrival to Vietnam?
No. Only those traveling to Vietnam by air can apply for Vietnam visa on arrival. Otherwise, they need to apply for Vietnam visa at Vietnam Embassy.
7. Can Vietnam visa approval letter be refused?
No. Please advise that the visa approval letter is issued by the Vietnam Immigration Department – a government authority of Vietnam, not the travel agent you are working with. The travel agent is just working as a bridge between the visa applicants and the Department. So, once the visa approval letter is issued, it will be not refused for any reason.
8. What if I change my arrival airport?
No problem at all. Please keep in mind that the visa approval letter works at 4 international airports of Vietnam (Tan Son Nhat in Ho Chi Minh city, Noi Bai in Hanoi, Cam Ranh in Khanh Hoa and Da Nang in Da Nang City). There will be no problem if you switch among such airports.